Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tools for the Plant Doctor

Like any medical doctor, a plant doctor needs the proper tools, equipment, and reference materials to make accurate diagnoses of sick patients or plants.  As a person who lives by the motto “Be prepared,” I always make sure to bring with me all the tools I may need whenever I get a call to come check out a tree or other plant that is not doing well.  Thankfully, my vehicle is roomy enough for me and all my tools, as it has become my portable storage shed.   

Photo: Many times decay in trees is not as obvious as this large cavity in a European Linden (Tilia x europea) and special tools are required for assessment.


The most important equipment for diagnosing plant problems is perhaps the simplest – a gallon size plastic bag and some hand pruners.  With the hand pruners I can cut off an afflicted branch and store it in the plastic bag until I get back to our lab.  Plastic bags are better than paper bags because they keep in moisture and prevent samples from drying out too quickly.  Whenever I take a sample of a diseased or infested branch, I always make sure to obtain the symptomatic area, the healthy area, and the area in-between.  This “transition zone” from unhealthy to healthy tissue is often the most helpful for making accurate plant diagnoses.  If I can’t get my sample to the lab asap, I’ll store it in the fridge to prevent saprophytic decay fungi from decomposing it.  To date, I haven’t put a plant sample in my salad bowl, but I have to be extra careful when I’m hungry and tired!
Other tools that are important for taking samples are a pole pruner for cutting limbs that are out of reach, and a hand saw for removing afflicted branches that are too large for hand pruners.  I never go without my camera and always take lots of pictures to remind me of things later and to include in the diagnostic report.  A notepad and pen are essential.  I also like to bring some diameter tape for measuring the girth of trees.  I do carry around glass insect vials, but rarely get the chance to actually capture any offending insects.  A hand lens is useful for magnifying things in the field, but a microscope back at the lab is essential.  I remember once scrutinizing a California Privet (Ligustrum ovalifolium) shoot that was displaying symptoms of privet rust mite.  I squinted through my contact lenses at the curled, misshapen leaves, and after not seeing anything, I assumed that the mites had done their damage and left.   Just for kicks, I threw the shoot under the microscope, and lo and behold! there was an entire microscopic world scrambling all over the leaves, privet rust mites included!  I then promptly wondered what invisible little buggers were scrambling all over me!

Photo: California privet displaying symptoms of infestation by privet rust mite - curled, distorted, stunted, and yellowed new growth.



Other important tools for the tree doctor are a hammer and chisel for extracting wood from cankers and a pocket knife for looking beneath thin bark of branches.  As for trying to figure out how decayed a tree is, some highly specialized (and expensive) equipment has been developed.  One technique is to use a Resistograph®.  This microdrill takes advantage of the fact that decayed wood has lost strength and has a lower resistance to drill penetration than sound wood.  A graph that looks like an EKG is produced, and is great for impressing tech-oriented people and plant geeks alike.  Sounding with a mallet and using an increment borer or battery –operated drill are some less expensive methods of detecting decay in living trees.  A long rod is a cheap and easy way of probing into tree cavities to see how large they are.   
In addition to inspecting the leaves, branches, and trunk, it is absolutely critical to assess the belowground portion of a plant.  Frequently, the root cause of a plant problem is just that – the roots.  My most important tool here is a small, three-pronged hoe that I use to pull away soil and mulch from where the trunk meets the ground and examine this area known as the root collar.  I check for circling roots that can girdle the tree or shrub and to see if it is planted too deeply.  An air excavation tool can also be used to remove soil without injuring roots.  Another common belowground problem is soil compaction which means that sufficient water and air are not getting to the root system.  I use a penetrometer, a long pointed rod with a gauge at one end of it, to give me a qualitative assessment of soil compaction.  At new houses or recently re-modeled houses, my penetrometer always displays a red reading, indicating that the soil is too compacted for roots to grow.  A more quantitative assessment of soil compaction would be to take a bulk density test.  I also always bring a soil probe or hand shovel and bags for taking soil samples to measure nutrient levels and soil pH.

Photo: Soil compaction of this recently completed parking lot is the root cause of poor soil drainage and thinning of these Inkberry Hollies (Ilex glabra).



My other essential tools are the resources I can turn to when I need further information to make an accurate diagnosis.  There are a lot of books out there, but the ones that I find the most helpful are listed below.  Talking with colleagues and getting a second or third opinion also helps proper diagnosis.  Our local Cooperative Extension office has staff to help both professional horticulturists and homeowners diagnose plant problems.  Call CCE-Suffolk at 631-727-4126 and CCE-Nassau at 516-292-7990.  With the right tools and a lot of practice and patience, you’ll be a pro at diagnosing plant problems!
 
Books to Aid Plant Diagnosis:

• Costello, L.R., E.J. Perry, N.P. Matheny, J.M. Henry, P.M. Geisel. 2003. Abiotic Disorders of Landscape Plants: A Diagnostic Guide.  Oakland, CA, University of California, Publication 3420.

• Dirr, M.A. 2009. Manual of Woody Landscape Plants: Their Identification, Ornamental Characteristics, Culture, Propagation and Use, 6th Edition. Champaign, IL, Stipes Publishing.

• Johnson, W.T. and H.H. Lyon. 1991. Insects That Feed on Trees and Shrubs, 2nd Edition. Ithaca, NY, Cornell University Press.

• Sinclair, W.A. and H.H. Lyon. 2005. Diseases of Trees and Shrubs, 2nd Edition.  Ithaca, NY, Cornell University Press.

• Vittum, P.J., M.G. Villani, and H. Tashiro. 1999. Turfgrass Insects of the United States and Canada. Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.