Friday, September 24, 2010

For my very first post, I'd like to welcome you to my blog!  WELCOME!  So why did I start a blog you ask?  (Heh- well, I am asking myself the same question, now that I can't seem to get past WELCOME.)  In all seriousness, I am trying to connect with as many people as possible - to do outreach, to improve our environment, to enhance our future... yada yada yada.  Lofty goals, you might say, but that's my job as an Cornell Extension Agent.  My full time job is to help nursery growers, landscapers, arborists, landscape architects and other horticulture professionals with whatever issues that they need help answering.  Unfortunately, this doesn't leave much time for interacting with the public and gardening enthusiasts, like yourself!  There's lots going on in horticulture and gardening on Long Island these days and you deserve to know about it!  And since sooo many people are spending soooo much time online, why not make a blog?  I'll be bringing you scientific updates, news flashes, event information, and sharing my own personal gardening stories.  I hope that once you start following me, Long Island's Garden Girl, you'll be able to find your own inner green thumb!